Every week I get at least two or three messages from friends telling me they want to be Vegan. I typically respond ‘Dope, Do It!” Most of time they respond “but I just can’t give up <insert non-Vegan food item here> to which I say “Ok then don’t do it”. I’m not trying to be a jerk but here’s the thing…
People become Vegan or change their dietary habit for various reasons; morality, spirituality, health, bored, etc. I am not an animal rights activist nor do I think people need to be Vegan to be healthy. Even though I’ve been Vegan for 7 months, this isn’t my first time to the rodeo. About three years ago I was on a personal conquest to “find myself” and was Vegan for about 9 months. I missed seafood and cheese terribly so I went back to eating meat and dairy. My reason for my most recent stint at Veganism is I got tired of being a complete fat ass. Hands down I lose the most weight and feel my best when I follow a Vegan diet.
I am in no way Queen Vegan, hear me roar. Therefore, I am willing to keep it all the way real with you about MY experiences with becoming Vegan; good and bad. However, with these tips I provide alternatives to the challenges associated with becoming Vegan.
- Be Prepared to Fart – In a way, starting a Vegan diet is a detox for your body. Slowly but surely your body will begin to release all the crap you’ve been ingesting for years. When I started my diet I would fart UNCONTROLLABLY to the point I was completely embarrassed. Sometimes I couldn’t even control my bowels but we won’t get into that right now. However, all you have to do is when you fart act like you don’t smell it OR blame it on the person sitting next to you.
- Everything is dairy! – When you’re Vegan you will spend your life checking labels. Everything really does have milk in it. When I go to restaurants, even random things like rice will have dairy in it! (e.g. milk and butter) It will become depressing at first but over time you’ll learn what products are vegan friendly. Also, before you go to the restaurant call and have a conversation with the chef to come up with special meal options for you. This will save you a lot of time and heartache.
- There are different types of Vegans – There are different types of Vegans; plant based Vegans, raw vegans, etc. I classify myself as eat like shit Vegan because surprisingly enough Vegans can eat unhealthy and are not always skinny! (WHY ARE OREOS VEGAN JESUS!) However, if you are really looking to detox, cleanse your body and lose a significant amount of weight I would say take the plant based Vegan route. I used the book 22 Day Revolution for my initial Vegan diet and workout plan. I lost 11 lbs in one month.
- You WILL Offend Some Folks – When I first became Vegan and went over family/friends houses, they did not understand why I wasn’t eating their food. Some were even offended. People will even try to get you to make exceptions to your diet. DON’T DO IT! Trust me. Over time they will get over it. Now I even work with some family/friends to recreate their signature dishes into Vegan friendly options. Involving family/friends in your journey instead of showing up and looking down at their food choices is a great alternative.
- Veganism isn’t for Everyone And That’s Ok – I don’t shove the idea of Veganism down people’s throats. I know how it feels to adopt a diet/lifestyle and people tell me I’m wrong for it. It sucks! I get so many comments about how humans are meant to eat meat because of the shape of their teeth. (DUDE WHAT?!) There are different paths to a healthy living; with or without meat. I don’t judge people for it because I don’t want anyone judging me. Do what works best for you.
Ultimately, like with everything in in life, it’s YOUR decision whether or not you choose to become Vegan. Yes I can give you suggestions and tools, but you have to decide what you want to do.
Have you ever thought about becoming Vegan or removing something like beef from your diet? Are you a Vegan that struggles with maintaining your diet? Tell me about it in the comments below. I can’t wait to here from you!
SMOOCHES!! <3 CAG