People often ask me the following:
- Do you have any regrets about quitting my corporate job?
- Do you ever feel like hanging up this entrepreneur life and going back to a 9-5
First, I absolutely have no regrets! Second, I think about returning to corporate life EVERY TIME I LOOK AT MY BANK ACCOUNT! Lol. No seriously. Though I have a tremendous amount of support,I would be lying if I said this life wasn’t extremely stressful.
Recently, I’ve been more angst than usual because I’m approaching a year since I left my job. I’m an overachiever and as much as I want to be patient with myself, I’m just not that type of person. As a result, I was in a real funk. However, things are starting to turn around, and I want to share a few things I did, to get back to myself.
- Go to the Gym
- When I sat back and thought about what changed in my schedule, I realized I had I hadn’t been to the gym, consistently, in almost 2 months! I get some of my best ideas in the gym while doing HIIT cardio on the treadmill. Endorphins and Adrenaline generate the best ideas!
- Book A Hotel Room
- This past weekend I went out of town and booked a hotel room on Expedia because I had some points left over. I stayed at the Aloft Hotel, which is a budget friendly hotel, owned by Marriott. The decor is minimalist, which honestly helped me think clearly. In general, being out of my normal element just removed all the constant reminders of my day to day responsibilities and stresses.
- I started journaling (or keeping a diary) when I was in middle school. Even as a child, I recognized the benefits of releasing my thoughts on paper. Its freeing. It also is a great resource for the future. Whatever you’re going through, you’ll get passed it. Journaling allows you to look back, see how you overcame a challenge, which in turn creates hope for the future.
- Take a Social Media Break
- While I am thankful for social media because it has allowed me to start and grow multiple business, it is also can be a real esteem killer! There is a lot of fraudulence on social and people will make their lives seem like the best thing since slice bread. As much as you may know what’s phony and fake, when you see it, you internalize it as real. It makes you feel like shit! Take a break from it! Limit your time on Instagram and Facebook until you get yourself together. Trust me. It helps!
- Call Fellow Entrepreneurs
- Lastly, my entrepreneur friends have been my lifeline. I talk to at least one of them daily. It helps talking to people that have been through what you’ve been through and can understand your struggle. I seriously don’t think I would’ve made it this far without having friends that are in business for themselves. They are great for helping me come up with ideas. I get to learn from their mistakes. Sometimes, I just need to vent. Its just comforting to have people in the trenches with me that I can lean on.
I hope you’ve found these tips helpful. I don’t know what the future holds for me. However, quitting would be the easy thing for me to do. Right now, I’m just not ready to give up on myself and my dreams. Therefore, I’m going to do what’s necessary to keep pushing.
Until next time…